Oct 292014
 

Given my dive in to quilting lately, I thought I’d join in with Amy’s Creative Side Bloggers Quilt Festival and submit and share the two finished quilts that I have (since the 5 unfinished ones don’t count yet:) ). So this is repost from June 2012

I finally finished baby girl’s quilt!! The pattern claimed to be doable in a few hours in a day…haha…funny. I counted 15 hours on this baby and that’s with using pre assembled binding and machine stitching everything. I learned alot. Namely the fact that I’m not nearly exact enough to really do this well. Like baking, fudgy measurements make a big difference (perhaps that’s why I prefer cooking over baking) and I’m just not that patient:) That said, I know I’ll make at least one more of these for Noah (I ordered a jelly roll today for his).

Anywho..without further adieu..here’s baby girl’s quilt:)

img_7120

img_7121

I used a disappearing 9 pattern and what I like to call a crazy stitch to quilt it (where I hope my mistakes really don’t show that much). The binding was a satin blanket binding that I found at Joann and I did it by machine too (my hands are already starting to numb so I figured a hand stitched binding may not have been the best idea at the time. Maybe I’ll try it for Noah’s.)

In the end, it was a lot of work but so worth it. I love that I’ll have this for her as she grows and that it was something that I did. Both my mom and my grandmother were avid seamstresses as I was growing up (my mom still is!) and I still remember a lot of what they made for me (and my brother) all those years ago. Heck, I even go to my mom now when I need things fixed. I have a whole new respect for their efforts!

Now…on to the dust ruffle for her crib:)

Oct 292014
 

Given my dive in to quilting lately, I thought I’d join in with Amy’s Creative Side Bloggers Quilt Festival and submit and share the two finished quilts that I have (since the 5 unfinished ones don’t count yet:) ). So this is repost from Jan 2013

So when I made Lia’s quilt before she was born I knew at some point I wanted to make one for Noah too. So, I started it when I was 38 weeks pregnant (about 3 days before Lia was born) haha. Noah asked me one day what it was (it was sitting on my craft table) and I told him it was his blanket that mommy was making him. He got sooo excited! From there on any time he’d pass my craft bench (which was any time he went outside to the backyard) he’d ask me about his blanket. He wanted to wear it around:) Well, I finally got around to finishing it up – 6 months to the day I started it.

This one was done with a jelly roll of Moda Summertime fabric. It was actually pretty neat and quick to get the center patch together. You just sewed all the long strips together in one long line then folded that long line in half, sew the length, chop the end and do it again. I kept halving it until you came to a manageable size. I made my center patch just big enough to cover the top of a twin bed (I was a little short in the length tho). Then I added about 9 inches on either side and a foot to the top and bottom to make it cover his bed with some overhang.

I learned alot with Lia’s quilt and even more with Noah’s. I’m confident that I’m not a quilter but I’m proud of the two pieces I’ve managed to turn out. (eta: okay, maybe I’ll be a quilter yet!)

IMG_1299

IMG_1301

IMG_1304

Oct 112014
 

Now that Lia has a big girl bed, she needs a big girl quilt to cover it:)

I had started to look for fabrics even before we started the plan to move her to a bigger bed and just didn’t fall in love with anything – until I found this one!! Garden Party Tango by Melissa Ybarra is just a pretty collection of both colors and patterns. I think it will make a great quilt for her room and a nice base to decorate around.

I found a pattern on Pinterest that I really liked and seemed simple enough (me and elaborate quilts don’t mix yet – I need simple straight lines with little cutting to build my confidence). And here’s where I am so far!

20140920_142101

The pattern is for a 36in x 36in blanket so of course that won’t work for her bed so I’m doubling the pattern and will still probably have to do a border to get to the right size. I have the groups of strips sewn together and now need to iron them and cut, then stitch again. I only get 20/30 min here and there so things are going slowly. Maybe by the time she’s 16 I’ll have it finished!

Related Posts with Thumbnails